Monday, October 20, 2008

The politics of sin may require sunglasses ...

"Dead man, dead man, When will you arise?
Cobwebs in your mind, Dust upon your eyes.
The glamour and the bright lights and the politics of sin..."

- Bob Dylan "Dead Man, Dead Man"

Not one of my favourite songs but the words go well with these annotated election hoardings I spotted on the weekend.


This early song is jam-packed full of funny images.

"Now, the man on the stand he wants my vote,
He's a-runnin' for office on the ballot note.
He's out there preachin' in front of the steeple,
Tellin' me he loves all kinds-a people.
(He's eatin' bagels
He's eatin' pizza
He's eatin' chitlins
He's eatin' bullshit!)"

- 'I Shall Be Free', from the Freewheelin' album

There's also a line in this about making love to Elizabeth Taylor - just bear in mind it was written in 1962!

No comments: