Monday, October 20, 2008

Instant birthday party... just add water

Saturday night I managed to pull off a secret that had been under construction for about 4 weeks prior - a surprise birthday party for John. I'd told him we were going out to dinner with Jaz and Paul so he was smartly dressed (i.e. not up a ladder painting the house or deconstructing a server in the office).

All the guests gathered at a neighbours and at 7.30 came en masse to ours. I made sure he opened the door at which point about 20 people sprung upon him waving balloons and popping poppers and pressing gifts on him. It was great to see his face. The shock tactic must have worked because he even enjoyed the silly party games we'd organised - Pass the Parcel, Squeak Piggy Squeak and so on. Great fun was had by all - into the early hours of Sunday.

Some of the younger revellers (the birthday boy refuses to appear)...

2 comments:

mariSh said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I did consider appearing myself on your doorstep... if only I were a bit closer...

Anonymous said...

Squeek piggy squeek? You didn't tell me you were having Squeek piggy squeek.
But seriously, Marie said "..if only I were a bit closer...", and we are, but 5 hours north, party on, the 5 hours south back to the Farmers Market in New Plymouth by 07.45 on Sunday was to much for Patricia and myself. We could have lasted the party but.....
Anyway, we're very sorry we missed the landmark John......and thanks for inviting us Mandy.
It was a lo easier when we lived next door.

Cheers......Richard & Patricia