Friday, October 10, 2008

Radio (non) appearance

Strange Day. Worked hard at the gym. Had coffee & a chat with Judy afterwards. She's off to Paris for a meeting.
Soon after I got home I had a phone call from a lady called Noelle McCarthy - she of Irish accent that used to be on BFM and now works at National Radio. She said Jim Mora had suggested I take part in a light-hearted radio talk later today on the topic "Does thinking more lead to increased eating". *

It was to be the final 5-10 minutes of his afternoon show. I tried to stall her, even offered to pass her on to a nutritionist I work with, to no avail. She was very persuasive. So, I agreed.

I spent the rest of the day worrying about what to say and how to make it funny. In between I had a hair appointment, which lasted 2 and a half hours, the whole time the hairdresser was asking if I would like this or that I could only think "hurry up and get on with it, I've got to be on the radio".

The time came. I felt prepared, the time came, and went. No phone call. The chosen topic seemed to be "Would you like to win the $24m lotto prize?" instead. All I can say is 'I was prepared'. I will be giving Jim some stick about this - I think he now owes me a favour!

The frustrating thing is, a friend who I've previously referred to as the Blue Galactic Monkey, sent a TXT challenging me to use the word 'chihuahua' on the radio and I accepted this challenge, knowing she'd be listening in down in Christchurch. So, I had prepared a suitable phrase to achieve the result - a grin on a Monkey's face. What a missed opportunity!

*My only qualification for this is being a member of Mensa, having a love of food, and being on some list of 'previous mugs who've obliged NZ media with interviews'.


On a brighter note, my much awaited (but over priced) Tell Tale Signs 3 CD box set arrived from Amazon, so I am consoling myself with Bob on the player and 2 books to browse.

1 comment:

Nik said...

I had to go with the 2-Disc, the 3-disc is insanely overpriced, but am really enjoying it so far. Good stuff!